Taking care of your auto glass is essential for your safety as well as making it last long-term. While driving, you need to be able to see clearly out of all your car or truck windows. In addition, treating your auto glass with care will increase the longevity of the glass. Here are some dos and don'ts of auto glass care to help ensure a long window life:
- DO clean your auto glass regularly; whether through the car wash or with another glass care product, it's important to keep your car or truck glass clean and clear
- DO replace your windshield wiper blades every 6 months to a year, or as needed
- DO check your auto glass regularly for any chips that may have occurred without notice
- If you get a chip in your windshield or other auto window, DO get it repaired right away so that it does not become a bigger issue
- To extend the life of your auto glass, DO try to keep your vehicle out of the elements as extreme heat or cold can negatively affect the glass
- DO consider using an auto glass protectant to help maintain the integrity of the glass
- When getting into your car DON'T turn your heat or air at full blast as the sudden change in temperature can cause damage to the glass
- If you get a chip or crack in your windshield or other auto glass, DON'T wash it until after it's repaired as the water from the wash can cause further damage
- If you have to get your auto glass replaced, DON'T settle for low quality glass that may not last
- DON'T leave damaged auto glass unrepaired or un-replaced
If you do need to replace your windshield or other auto glass due to a chip, crack or other damage, get it done by someone who specializes in auto glass. To ensure that you're getting high quality auto glass that will last, don't look to your mechanic or other who may not be as familiar with types of auto glass and the correct way to repair or install.
The more of these dos and don'ts that you follow, the more likely you won't have issues with your auto glass.